The Teacher Spotlight this week features our RVIS Physical Education (PE) team.
Under the guidance of RVIS Athletics Director, Marcus Waudby, coaches Camy Bistriceanu and Darren Adam, have formed a formidable team this year and taken our RVIS PE and Athletics programs to a new level.
There have been many highlights on the pitch, court, track and even in the pool that have made it a great year for sport at RVIS. From pep rallies, to house competitions, intramurals and an awesome dolphin mascot costume, it has certainly been a year of, ‘Firsts’, which has also led to greater #Dolphinpride throughout the school. Other sporting highlights of the year include:
- 1. U/19 boys and girls volleyball teams travelled to the Oasis tournament in Dubai. This was the first Oasis team to travel for a number of years.
- 2. 44% of the Secondary Student body represented our Dolphin teams in the BSSL.
- 3. Over 96% of Secondary students participated fully in our IGNITE IntraMurals.
- 4. Our Elementary School participated in ALL of the BPSL events this year, finishing 3rd overall in the End of Year School standings.
- 5. We started our first ever U11 Netball team that competed in the Bahrain Championships.
The increased number of competitive teams and improved results in local football, basketball, volleyball and track competitions, has really shown the huge potential our RVIS student athletes have. The achievements have also been as a result of increased student commitment to training and some excellent coaching. As they say, ‘We may be small but we are mighty’.
While the COVID19 pandemic put a halt to our competitive athletic fixtures, it did not take away from the exceptional work of our PE team during Virtual School. Well deserved parent praise has been received for the organization, rigor and fun of our PE program during online learning. Thanks to our PE team, students and families have enjoyed activities such as; Minute to Win It challenges, completing daily activity logs, dance, yoga, games and workout videos. Our virtual PE program expanded to offer some fantastic health and wellness learning opportunities while still encouraging our students to keep active around the home environment.
If you think the above was a pretty good effort for a year in sport, here is what Coach Waudby has shared for the upcoming 2020-21 year
- 1. RVIS will be facilitating a brand new International Sports Conference, called COMESA (Conference of Middle East Schools Athletics) that will involve top tier schools from around the Middle East.
- 2. We are continuing our membership of OASIS, and will travel for Volleyball and Basketball, and host U19 football at RVIS.
- 3. RVIS will again host the MEUC Basketball Championships in January.
- 4. We look forward to our new partnership with the Riffa Tennis Club, including hosting the BSSL Championships on our RVIS courts.
- 5. We will be continuing our partnership with the North Pole Swim Foundation who will again work with our PE team to provide a comprehensive swim program for our young Dolphins and run our burgeoning Dolphin Swim team. We will also be hosting Swim Meets and Galas for the first time in our pool.
- 6. We have brand new Dolphin wear for our competitive team athletes, including tracksuit, warm-Up top and backpack
Thanks to coaches Waudby, Camy and Adam, we are well on the way to realising our vision for Athletics at RVIS. In 2020-21 we look forward to seeing all students involved in our sports programs, re-forming our parent booster/supporters club and even more #Dolphinpride throughout our entire RVIS community.